XEP-0286: Mobile Considerations on LTE Networks
Created by: LNJ2
This XEP provides information about which other XEPs and optimizations should be used in mobile Jabber/XMPP clients: https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0286.html. But of course these features should be enabled on all platforms (optimizations are always good).
These XEPs should be supported:
- Stream Compression (XEP-0138) provides stream level compression. (needs to be)
- Entity Capabilities (XEP-0115) provides a mechanism for caching, and hence eliding, the disco#info requests needed to negotiate optional features.
- Roster Versioning (XEP-0237) provides a relatively widely deployed extension for reducing roster fetch sizes. (not supported by gloox)
- Stream Management (XEP-0198) allows the client to send and receive smaller keep-alive messages, and resume existing sessions without the full handshake. This is useful on unstable connections. (automatically used by gloox)
- Client State Indication (XEP-0352) allows clients to indicate to the server that they are inactive, allowing the server to optimize and reduce unnecessary traffic. (done)
- Push Notifications (XEP-0357) implements push notifications (third party message delivery), which are often used on mobile devices and highly optimized to conserve battery. Push notifications also allow delivery of notifications to mobile clients that are currently offline (eg. in an XEP-0198 "zombie" state).
- Message Archive Management (XEP-0313) lets clients fetch messages which they missed (eg. due to poor mobile coverage and a flaky network connection).