WIP: Report Battery status
Finally, we have support for sending out Battery information.
The core idea is as follows:
- When a Link loads the BatteryPlugin, we query Solid for a list of batteries.
- If the list is empty, we print a warning message and return quickly
- Otherwise, we connect two signals to every object in that list
- We send out a single new NetworkPacket as soon as we've processed that list
- When either of those two signals emits, we send another new NetworkPacket
To handle devices with multiple batteries (requested in Bug 357193), I'll average together the battery percentages. I'll also include a new field in the packet for 'number of batteries' - for backwards compatibility, we can give it a default value of one.
This should ensure we support
- devices with no batteries at all (like many desktop machines)
- devices with hot-pluggable batteries (like those laptops with detachable screens)
Note that the implementation isn't perfect. We'll need some new localizable text to make it clear that we now support sending battery status information.
Then there's a rather significant question: maybe we should have two battery plugins
on each client, like we do for the
We need to ensure that other clients (including those using the Android codebase) will respond correctly. The main things to look at are
- are these new packets sent when the plugin is enabled, and not sent when it's disabled?
- is the charge percentage accurate?
- is the charge state (charging, discharging, or full) accurate? and
- do we see the correct number of warnings for low-battery?